Twice we have made the trip north to Chester, NY (90 minutes for us) to have a special business related dinner at the Glenmere Mansion. Check out their website at glenmeremansion.com.
To give you some perspective, below is a quote about Glenmere's history from their web site:
"The Gilded Age retreat of the Goelet family, Glenmere was one of America's finest country homes, once host to royalty, aristocracy, and leading artists. Now it is reborn as a premier luxury hotel. With just 18 guest accommodations, 2 superb restaurants, and exceptional recreational facilities."
Both times we ate informally in the cozy, very comfortable, not very big Frog's End Tavern at Glenmere.
Since both times there were four of us dining we had a chance to try several things as appetizers and then entrees including:
- Glenmere Deviled Eggs '3' with Pickled Relish and Crispy Pancetta ($6)Fritto Misto, Assorted Seafood Remoulade ($16)
- Frisee Salad, Smoked Pancetta, Crispy Poached Egg Honey Sherry Vinaigrette ($12)
- Various boards including Charcuterie Bresaola, Soppressata, Prosciutto, Country Pâté, Chicken Liver Pâté ($22)
- Various pasta dished, all stand outs including: Cavatelli - Beef, Pork & Veal Ragu Tomato, Basil, Parmigiano ($19)
- Wild Salmon , Watercress, Goat Cheese, Hazelnuts Cipollini Agrodolce ($25)
- Steak Frites, Porcini Rubbed Skirt Steak, Red Onions Watercress, Fries ($28)
- Various Pot Pies: Chicken Pot Pie ($15), Beef Bourguignon Pot Pie ($15), Seafood Pot Pie ($16) and Pot Pie Trio ($18)
One of my favorite dishes when done well is Chicken Pot Pie. In restaurants that offer it I usually try it as a litmus test. I can honestly say I have never had a better one than the one served in the Frog's End Tavern.
The desserts are out of this world. Their lemon cake is at least 6 inches tall and is a dessert you will not want to share! The wine list is both extensive and excellent. Most of the food served here is grown locally. The quality is top notch. The service is top notch. The ambiance throughout the Mansion is as good as it gets.
This should be the next place you use for that very special personal or business occasion. It is a world class venue that gets our highest recommendation. Hideaway International voted Glenmere Mansion the #1 Romantic Hideaway in the World for 2011. 'Nuff said?
Make a reservation either through their website or by calling 1-845-469-1900. They have a "guard" past the entrance columns on the drive up to the Mansion. Without a reservation I doubt you will get in.