A unique Business & Leadership Academy for high school girls is being held by the Garden State Woman Education Foundation from August 11th to the 15th in Florham Park, NJ. Any high school young women with plans to attend college and likely pursue a business education and career will be inspired by and benefit from participating in this Academy program. It is unlike any other business-oriented learning "camp" ever offered in New Jersey for young high school women.
It's not too early for teenage young women, i.e. high schoolers, to be thinking of their future. What education goals and career opportunities will they pursue?
It's our experience that very few teenagers (young women as well as young men) have any real understanding of "business." As a result, typically business is not in their thinking when they are trying to make their college selections, pick their majors and think through their career futures. That's too bad since American certainly needs strong business leaders, particularly women.
In our one week Business & Leadership Academy for high school girls we will give them a robust "education" re: what business is all about and how they can best prepare for getting into their college of choice and for their eventual career.
Highlights of the Academy experience include:
- Having a highly interactive program. The young women will be engaged vs. just sitting and listening. They will not be bored.
- Making certain they understand the full scope of the term "business"
- Bringing in a diversified group of successful business women and men guest discussion leaders to share experiences, expertise and guidance.
- Having the participants break into teams focused on learning about and developing growth ideas for businesses. They will be provided case histories. They will meet and share thinking with actual business owners.
- Helping them prepare for and think through their college options, generate a resume, get business cards and be smart about using social media.
- Teaching them various ways for meeting and developing relationships with the people that can help them in the future. Networking is a key to their future success. They will learn networking techniques
Academy Students Will Also Learn
- About a broad range of businesses. They "graduate" understanding that everything essentially is a business requiring business leaders to drive success.
- About the various functions involved in running a successful business from product development to sales and marketing, to production and distribution to HR, to opening new markets, raising funding, branding and more
- To improve their public speaking and analytical skills
- To develop and manage their "brand" in person and on-line.
- To prepare and deliver presentations
- The major challenges and key factors for success in all the businesses discussed at the Academy
- Proper business etiquette which includes how to dress, communicate via email and through social media and how to break the ice with new contacts
Schedule and Location
The Business & Leadership Academy will be held August 11th through the 15th at the offices of the prestigious national law firm: Wilson Elser @ 200 Campus Drive, Florham Park, N.J.
The schedule all 5 days will be from 9 until 4. Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
Students are responsible for arranging their transportation.
The Academy is For High School Girls
Applications are being accepted from motivated young women students in high school, grades 9 through 12 starting in September, planning to attend college and having an interest in possibly pursuing an education and career in business.
The Academy will provide an exceptional opportunity for all participants to network and form new friendship with other students, with faculty members as well as with the guest discussion leaders.
To insure a maximum learning experience there is a limit on the number of Academy participants. So, if interested, register early and benefit from the Early Registration reduced fee.
Parent will be invited to attend the Academy "graduation" on the afternoon of August 15th to hear the students share what they have learned about preparing for college and a possible business education and career.
This will be an unmatched learning opportunity for young high school women. It will be fun, interesting and fast-paced
The Academy program flows from the highly successful one day Business & Leadership Conference we held at Rutgers Business School in Newark on May 3rd. (link)
The Academy is being developed and hosted by me and my husband Jack Killion. We are tapping into our exceptional networks to recruit appropriate guests as discussion leaders. Everyone invited is excited about this unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of motivated high school girls.
Judy Chapman's 40 years of business experience to be shared with participants includes working:
- in Europe with the head of the British Computer Society
- in marketing and communications with major New Jersey hospitals
- with a start-up software company
- to grow our family-owned thoroughbred race horse breeding & racing stable
- to launch Garden State Woman and Garden State Woman Education Foundation in the past 15 years to empower New Jersey women of all ages from high schoolers to "C" level executives.
- Serving as an advisor to a number of significant women business organizations.
Judy's Bachelors Degree is from Rutgers University.
Jack routinely coaches "C" level business leaders, as well as high schoolers and college students. To quote a Fortune 500 Board Member:
Jack, I learned more from you in 120 minutes than I have learned from a number of so called 'experts' in five years! I am not exaggerating.
Jack's 40 year business career includes:
- Consulting with Fortune 500 corporation while with McKinsey & Company
- Raising venture funding for emerging companies
- Starting and owning his own diverse successful businesses in publishing, manufacturing, financial services & real estate.
- Serving as a board member with various U.S. and European companies and working full time in France and England
- Currently heading his own 13 year old Eagle Rock Diversified Fund
- Being a partner in the 3 year old networking and business development training firm: Bluestone+Killion
Jack's educational background includes:
- A Bachelor's Degree from Yale and a Masters Degree from MIT
- Teaching as an adjunct in MBA programs at Rutgers, Montclair State and Fairleigh Dickinson Universities
- Interviewing high school students applying to MIT
The Academy Adjunct Teaching Staff
Exceptional professionals, corporate leaders, business owners and coaches have enthusiastically joined the Academy's teaching team with more to be added in the coming weeks. Discussion leaders will be sharing experiences and guidance with Academy students:
- Mike Medaska - Director of Corporate Strategy, Ingersoll Rand will be talking about personal and business strategic planning
- Neale Godfrey - Author, entrepreneur and one of America's top advocates and coaches re: financial literacy for young people
- Diana - Kyser McNeff - Heads own COOonDemand consulting firm, serial entrepreneur and PhD candidate at Temple University
- Sandra Clarke - CFO of Daiichi Sankyo, a leading global pharmaceutical company
- JoAnn Dixon - Advisor to various women's organizations and fund raising and performance improvement consultant
- Dr. Paul Squires - A Performance Consultant and founder of his own firm: Applied Skills and Knowledge
- Mabel Hara - Heads development for the Instituite at Columbia University
- Isobel Wayrick - Principal in Mars International, a diversified manufacturing company, and a noted global nature photography
- David Deutsch - heads consulting firm: Synergy Social. He will lead discussion on smart use of social media
- Sims Wyeth - heads own consulting firm coaching "C" level executives to improve public speaking abilities. Will provide similar coaching at the Academy.
- Ibanca Anand - A economics major at Duke University and founder of her 3 year old Suhanee Foundation raising gender issues in emerging countries.
- Dr. Pius Egbelu - Dean of NJIT's Business School will participate in a discussion of the value of a college business education
- Emily Collard - a rising star with Edelman, a global leading PR firm workinbg initially with consumer products and now with wellness focused clients.
Academy Development & Coaching Team
The Garden State Woman Education Foundation is fortunate to have several bright young women and men helping develop the curriculum and participate in the program including:
- Adetayo Sanusi – a recent graduate of U Penn Wharton who has attended summer business programs for college students in the past
- Adesola Sanusi – attending Harvard and studying economics and business
- Rachel Brisgel – attending Tulane University and spending the summer developing a new educationally oriented App.
- Charlotte Dreizen – attending George Washington University and already the President and Founder of her major non profit: SCARR
- Dana Drahos –a communications major at Susquehanna University having studied in Australia for a semester and now interning with a healthcare marketing firm
- Jeff Torres -a business major at Rutgers University and founder of an on-campus entrepreneurial organization
The registration fee to attend this unique, one week Business & Leadership Academy for high school girls is $525 per student.
Registrations should be accompanied with payment
A portion of Academy fees will go to the Garden State Woman Education Foundation's scholarship fund which, for 8 years, has been supporting the 4 year college education of New Jersey high school young women attending 4 year New Jersey colleges and universities.
Money Back Guarantee: As is true for all educational programs organized by Garden State Woman Education Foundation there is a full money back guarantee if the Business & Leadership Academy does not meet expectations of any high school woman student who completes all five days of the Academy.
Click on the links below to reserve your teen age young woman's place at this important event
To find out more about the Business & Leadership Academy or with Questions Contact:Judy Chapman
Founder- Garden State Woman Education Foundation